|Back to List of Job Openings|
|Location: San Jose, CA|
|Job Number: EventContr--SJ|
TechShop San Jose seeks a friendly, outgoing, people-person to join our team as an Outreach Contractor.
As an Outreach Contractor, you will set up and take down TechShop displays at TechShop San Jose, TechShop Mid-Peninsula, tradeshows, conventions, farmers markets, kids festivals, and more; engage with and educate people who drop by the booth and want to know about TechShop and what it has to offer; demonstrate the use of TechShop equipment; and answer questions related to classes, events, memberships, and the TechShop community.
Your goal is to communicate with and educate the public in a lively and welcoming way about what TechShop has to offer. Classes, software, and community are the key components of our discussions with event goers. Your goal is to facilitate spark in the eyes of visitors as they talk with you, watch demos of TechShop equipment, and become inspired to make something.
Our venues range in location (both indoor and outdoor) and size (from a 6-foot table to a 20 x 10-foot booth space). You will receive training on the machines you will be demonstrating so that you can operate them onsite, educate people on how they work, and troubleshoot, as needed.
|The ideal applicant is...|
TOOLS WE USE AND DEMO
- Comfortable and at home in a dynamic and changing environment
- Able to be interrupted without losing focus
- An attentive listener; able to make easy conversation; able to make people feel welcome
- Outgoing and sociable
- Interested in making and/or creative in some way
- A communicator; you enjoy helping people understand concepts
- Good with kids and their endless questions
- Able lift up to 25 lbs.
- A member of the TechShop community
- A professional and confident communicator of TechShop’s resources
RESPONSIBILITIES & ONSITE TASKS
- 3D printers
- Laser cutter and or rotary cutter
- Vinyl cutter and heat press
- Sewing machine or CNC embroiderer
COMPENSATION & PERKS
- Find the event’s coordinator or a knowledgeable event staff member
- Introduce yourself to the coordinator to establish clear communication for the event setup and to represent TechShop in a cheerful, knowledgeable, and professional manner
- Locate the TechShop space and secure electrical power
- Set up tables, banners, and canopy
- Create flow in the space (booth choreography and layout), including:
- Arranging tables, banners, canopy, and equipment so that viewers can easily view/enter the space and engage with materials
- Placing fliers and marketing materials in a way that is visually appealing
- Placing demo objects (don’t overkill on the 3d printed items unless it’s a kids event)
- Present marketing forte’ (unique per event)
- Interact with the public
- Operate/demonstrate equipment and troubleshoot, as needed
- Take down the booth at the end of the event
- Clean up after yourself and your co-workers
Starting pay is $18-25/hour based on experience. This is a contract position. 15 hours per month.
Send an email to email@example.com with your resume and a compelling letter of introduction.
Note: Applications must be submitted in this manner in order to be considered. Not all applicants will receive a reply. Please, no phone calls about this position.